Thursday, September 6, 2012

You've Got a Friend in Me......


#11 Toy Story

List of Movies: Toy Story, Toy Story 2, Toy Story 3

Why I love these movies: 

Who doesn't love Toy Story? Seriously, I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone who doesn't like these movies. I was seven years old when I saw the first one, and I absolutely loved it! When the third one came out I was 21, and once again, I loved it! It made me feel like I was seven again. The reason I love these films so much is because they are filled with emotion, drama, exciting adventures, and all the while being hilarious at the same time.

When you stop and think about it, the concept of Toy Story seems kind of bizarre, toys that come alive when we aren't looking. Which after watching when I was seven, I thought that my toys really did come alive when I wasn't around. So I made it a goal to try and catch them in the act. (Unfortunately I still haven't caught them yet L)

All three movies captured my attention by not only being funny, but also by all the memories and emotions that they produced. It’s amazing how Pixar was able to take such a bizarre, and far out concept, and make the characters and the plots so relatable. 

I can still watch these movies today, and be thoroughly entertained. When Taylor and I go babysitting, and when movie time comes around I always put in a request in for Toy Story, and usually I'm the one who wants to watch it more than the kids!






Favorite Film: Toy Story 2




This was one of my hardest to choose a favorite. All three of these movies are so evenly matched and balanced, with each film being pretty much flawless. For me though, where I really grew to love these movies was with the second one. Toy Story 2 took everything that was great in the first one, and added to it. The problem with a lot of sequels is that they aren’t as original as their predecessor. Toy Story 2 was able to overcome that obstacle and come up with a totally original plot, but still give us the characters that we loved from the first one. This film teaches us how important the people closest to us in our lives really are, and how we should never take them for granted. Woody realizes this by being kidnapped by a greedy toy collector, and the rest of the toys learn this by putting their lives on the line trying to rescue Woody.













Another reason why I love Toy Story 2 is because it reminds me of my niece Lilee. When she was two years old this was just about the only movie she would watch. One night she was sleeping over at our house and all she wanted to do watch was Toy Story 2. Later that night I got home at about 10:00 and she was still up watching it, and she wouldn’t go to bed until it was over. She never got sick of it, and neither do I. Whenever I think of this movie, I reminded of my cute little niece and her obsession with Toy Story.

It also had an awesome video game!

Toy Story 3 is my next favorite of the series. Pixar and Disney could have gone a totally different way with this movie and made it much more kiddy (like most animated sequels do). But instead they addressed mature issues like abandonment, loss, growing up, change, and betrayal. In the process of this they made a film that kids and adults can both enjoy. One thing I liked was how they showed the character Lotso, go through those issues, and how they turned him into a mean and bitter person. At the same time, it shows the main characters of this film also about to go through a similar experience. Rather than giving into those bitter emotions and feeling they are able to move onto the next stage in their life, and still be happy. Most movie aren’t able to pull off that kind of an emotion impacted and still be fun and light hearted like this film does. This movie works as a drama, a comedy, and as well as an action movie. It blends those three things perfectly with a great story!

Now we can’t forget the first Toy Story because this is what started it all. This movie changed animated films, and set a new bench mark for them. It established the characters that we have grown to love, and it created the universe for toys to come to life.  Like the other films it’s more than just a movie about toys; it’s film that reminds us of the importance of having good friends. Along with that, it teaches us through the eyes of Woody that we should never compare ourselves or try to measure up to others. When Woody starts comparing himself to Buzz he starts doing things that he normally wouldn't do. Jealousy takes over and causes him to act foolishly. He eventually learns that rather than resenting others for their good fortunes and good attributes, we need to focus on our best strengths and talents. We should be our best self and not worry about what other people are doing, and people will appreciate and love us for who we are. Each one of these films are an amazing achievements that provide us with great entertainment as well as great messages!






Final Rankings: 







Favorite Scene: 
The scene that always gets me the most is one from Toy Story 3; it’s the final scene where Andy finally gives his toys away to the little girl Bonnie. That scene has reminded me not only of what it was like when I gave up some of my favorite toys, but also giving up my youth in general. I think this seen is very symbolic of how our lives are filled with bitter sweet moments of when we must give up something good for something better, or when we have to move on from one stage of our life to another. It’s a very great scene that shows a boy going from a boy to a man, as well the toys moving on to the next stage of their lives, just like we all will experience in our own lives.






Favorite Quote: "alright no one look until I get my cork back in!" - Hamm












Favorite Hero: Buzz Lightyear



Favorite Villain: Sid



Favorite Supporting Character: Rex









No comments:

Post a Comment