Sunday, September 23, 2012

Fortune and Glory, and a Whole lot of Snakes


#4 Indiana Jones



List of Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Temple of Doom, The Last Crusade, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull


Why I love these movies: 

Indiana Jones is one of those movies that I don’t have any memory of the first time I watched it. It’s almost like I’ve been watching these movies since the day I was born. The legendary theme song and the icon whip have been in my memory ever since I can remember. Indiana Jones simply never get old to me. Over the years it’s provided me great entertainment as well as some occasional fights with my brothers and cousins. Whenever we got together as kids we always loved to play Indy to together, but the problem was we all wanted to be Indy! We would usually fight about it and then we would all agree that no one could be him, and we would all have to be his cousins instead (pretty good compromises wouldn’t you say for 8-12 year old boys). 


As a kid I loved these movies because they were pure adventure, and every little boy is always looking for an adventure. These movies gave me a chance to escape reality and go on crusades, and search for lost artifacts. The reason I still love these movies today is because they still make me feel that same way! They make me feel like I really am on a grand adventure, and they bring back those childlike feelings of adventure and wonder. George Lucas and Steven Spielberg are truly at their best with these films, and they give us the perfect feel of what it would be like to be searching for the Holy Grail as you race against Nazi, or as you desperately search for the Ark of the Covenant. Another thing that’s makes these films so great today, is that they still hold up really well in regards to special effects, and all the other technical things that are involved with movies. These movies take a very simple idea, and turn it into something amazing! Indiana Jones is truly one of the most iconic movie characters, and one of my all-time favorite movie series!






Favorite Film: Raiders of the Lost Ark




This is one of the absolutely greatest films ever! The one that started it all! Originally Steven Spielberg wanted to make a James Bond movie, but George Lucas talk him into this instead, and I’m so glad that he did. I think what makes this one my favorite is that it the most well balanced and most well done Indy film. It has everything you need in a great adventure film. Whenever I watch it I feel like I’m on a roller coaster, but it’s not one of those roller coaster that makes you sick or tries too hard to be thrilling. It’s smooth, fast, fun, just enough thrills, and makes you want to watch it again and again! 


The next best is The Last Crusade. This is a very close second for me, but it is not quite as smooth as Raiders. That doesn’t mean that it is a bad in anyway, because it is still miles better than most adventure films out there. One aspect I really like about this one is how they introduced Indiana’s dad, and as well as bringing back Salla and Brody. This one probably beat Raiders in the best supporting characters category. 

Temple of Doom is very different from the other two, but that isn’t a bad thing. I once heard Steven Spielberg say both he and Lucas were going through divorces so they were both a little bitter while they were filming it. This is clearly the darkest of the trilogy, and I think that is why many people didn’t like it. (This movie is one of the big reasons why we have PG-13 rating now) While it is a dark and terrifying film at times, it still a very enjoyable, and intense film (probably the most intense of all the movies).



Now let’s talk about Kingdom of the Krystal Skull. This movie came out while I was on my mission in Australia and I wasn't able to see it theaters, so at the time I could only rely on the opinions of other people, and I wasn’t really hearing very many good things about it. So when I finally had the chance to watch it, I wasn’t expecting much. But what I found was that I was pleasantly surprised. Of course it wasn’t good as the others, but that doesn’t mean that it was a bad movie, like all the haters claim it to be. Harrison Ford jumped right back into the role, and felt like the exact same character from the other movies. They were able to create the same Indiana Jones feel, which for me was the most important aspect. A lot of people complained about the Aliens, but I thought that was one of the best touches to the movie. The movie is set in the 1950’s and that is when there was a big alien scare, and everyone was claiming to seeing UFOs. So I thought that it fit perfectly. Overall, this is my least favorite Indy movie, but I don’t think that it deserves all the hate it receives, and I will gladly defend it. 





Final Ranking:















Favorite Scene:
 I’ve always loved the opening scene in Raiders!



Favorite Quote: 
“Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes?” Indy


I couldn't find just one video of this quote, but its on this 25 best Indiana Jones quotes video! 



I had to throw this one in too! haha





Favorite Character: Indiana Jones



Favorite Villain: The Nazis



Favorite Supporting Character: Henry Jones



3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with you on your rankings -- Raiders can't be beat and it's one of the best movies ever. I agree with you about Crystal Skull too. One of my favorite scenes in any Indiana Jones movie was at the end of Crystal Skull when Indiana Jones says, "I've got a bad feeling about this." It's like we had Han Solo back for just a few seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was a kid I actually really like Temple of Doom the best. They are all so good, but Raiders does feel the most complete Indiana Jones film! I forgot about the scene in the Crystal Skull, I will have to look out it for it next time I watch it.

    ReplyDelete