Thursday, September 5, 2013

Superhero Movies From Worst to Best: 25-21





25. Superman
Directed by: Richard Donner
Starring: Christopher Reeves, Gene Hackman, Marlon Brando, Margot Kidder
Released: 1978
First watched: At home in 1997 with my dad and brothers

Now some people may be wondering why this movie is not as high on my list since this is movie is so revered today . Before I explain why it’s so low, I want to first say that I really do enjoy this movie. Christopher Reeves is spot on as Clark Kent and Superman. He was born to play that role, and its fun to watch him. This was also one of the first superhero/comic book movies, and without this movie pioneering the way we might not have all the other great superhero movies. John Williams’s iconic music is also something I love about this movie. Now with that all said let me explain why it’s not that high on the list. First off I'm not really the biggest fan of some aspects of Lois and Clark's relationship. I really don't enjoy the scene in the movie where Lois Lane and Superman fly around Metropolis, and she starts reading some poem or something. It was just weird and awkward, and felt really out of place. Secondly, I think Gene Hackman is a terrible Lex Luthor. He is very campy and has a pretty lame plan. Lastly (spoiler) I'm really not the biggest fan of how Superman can reverse time, just to save Lois. Now those are my gripes, but overall I still enjoy this movie, and I understand that for its time it was probably pretty amazing, but there are just a lot of other superhero movies I enjoy over this one.  





24. Spider-Man 3
Directed bySam Raimi
Released: May 2007
Starring: Tobey Maguire, Kirsten Dunst, James Franco, Thomas Haden Church, Topher Grace
First watched: In theaters opening day, after my region track meet with friends

I don't think that I've ever been so excited for a Spider-man movie as I was for this one. I have always loved the character of Spider-man, and I loved the first two movies. When the trailers came out and it showed that Spider-man was going to be wearing his black suit, fighting his old pal Harry Osborn, and the first appearance of the villain Venom, I thought this was going to be the best Spider-man, and possibly the best superhero movie yet. While I was disappointed with this movie, there were still a lot of things that lived up to my expectations. First off I didn't mind that there were three villains in this movie. Yes Venom was bit of disappointment, but I still really enjoyed the small screen time that he had. The things that really made this movie bad was the horrendous “emo” and dance scenes. I get they were trying to be funny, but it just didn't work. If you take out those scenes you still have a very flawed movie, but it’s a very fun flawed movie, that is still very entertaining. There are some great action sequences and special effects, and if you get past some of the flaws there's also a pretty good story underneath. It is definitely not the greatest superhero movie ever, but there are still a lot of good things in this movie.



23. Superman II
Directed by: Richard Donner/ Richard Lester
Starring: Gene Hackman, Christopher Reeve, Terence Stamp
Released: 1980
First watched: On TV when I was really young

Superman II suffers a little bit from the same things as the first Superman (and I still don't understand how he got his powers back after he loses them) but the reason I like this one better is because Superman actually gets to finally fight somebody. The fact that there was a villain that was actually a threat to him made this movie much more exciting. The first one he mostly just fly’s around saving people, but in this one we got to see him actually go toe to toe with the three Kryptonite baddies. There seemed to be a bigger threat, and it made me care more about the characters than I did in the first one. 

(Also for those who didn't like Man of Steel because Superman kills, they should go back and watch this movie, because he also disposes of General Zod in this one as well)







22. Hulk
Directed by: Ang Lee
Starring: Eric Bana, Jennifer Connelly, Sam Elliott, Josh Lucas, Nick Nolte
Released: June 2003
First watched: In theaters with my pals Hudson and Jackson Halm

Most people like the Incredible Hulk better than this one, but I found this film overall to be more entertaining and memorable. It has a more flaws than the Incredible Hulk, but it also has more strengths. First off, I really enjoyed the ambition of this movie. I really liked how the director, Ang Lee, really tried to go for something different. He tried to make this more than just a superhero movie, and for the most part I felt that he succeeded. It has a very serious and almost kind of somber feel to it, but for some reason that really connected with me. I found the choice of villain in this movie to be very interesting. The used David Banner (who is the Hulk's father), as the main antagonist, and that created a conflict that has never been explored in any other superhero movie. It was almost like Luke Darth Vader conflict. I liked that it aimed to be unique and different from other superhero movies. There are a few scenes that are very intense and emotional that helped make this story more believable. I really liked the cast in this movie as well. With that said though, this movie does suffer from some pacing issues. I’m usually all about making movie’s long, but there are times when this movie seemed to drag on. The special effects are also very outdated and don't quite hold up like they should. Also like the other Hulk film, the action is good, but nothing spectacular. Overall though, I would recommend this movie to anyone who is looking for a different interpretation of a superhero movie. 



21. Batman Forever
Directed by: Joel Schumacher
Starring: Val Kilmer, Jim Carrey, Tommy Lee Jones, Nicole Kidman, Chris O’Donnell
Released: June 1995
First watched: At my house with my best friend Chris in 1996

Surprisingly, this is actually a pretty entertaining Batman movie of the pre-Nolan films. It’s incredibly cheesy at times, but its also really fun. I think director Joel Schumacher was trying to create a balance of the dark, serious nature of Batman, and also the camp style Batman that was around during the 60’s, and for the most part I think that he succeed. This movie is definitely the most comic booky of all the Batman films. There are actually some really good scenes in this movie. The opening sequences and introduction of Two-Face, the death of the Graysons, Robin saving Batman, and when the Riddler and Two-Face invade Wayne manor. With that said, there are also so pretty bad scenes like the Batmobile driving up a wall, pretty much most of the scenes with Chris O'Donnell, and a few times when Jim Carey and Tommy Lee Jones go over the top as Two-Face and the Riddler. There are some very cheesy lines in this movie, but overall it’s a pretty entertaining flick, and much better than Batman and Robin. 





No comments:

Post a Comment