Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Superhero Movies From Worst to Best: 15-11



15. The Wolverine
Directed by: James Mangold
Starring: Hugh Jackman, Tao Okamoto, Hiroyuki Sanada, Rila Fukushima, Famke Janssen
Released: July 2013
First watched: In theaters opening day with Matt and Natalie


As you can tell by my rankings I was not a fan of the previous Wolverine movie. Wolverine is such an awesome character, and Hugh Jackman is the perfect person to play him, and I was really glad to hear that they were going to try and redeem themselves. With all the superhero teams up and movies full of numerous characters (which I typically like) it was nice to have a small and balanced movie that just focused on Wolverine. The Japanese setting added a whole new layer to this film that made it totally different from other superhero films. It was fun watching Wolverine fight Samurai this time instead of other mutants. The Japanese setting and the idea of Wolverine being a ronin (a warrior without a master or purpose) and showing him discover his purpose again was really interesting. I like too how they also explored the idea of Wolverine being mortal, and not being able to heal. The action was great, and it reminded me a lot of the awesome fight scenes from X2. The train sequence was also one of the coolest fight scenes I've seen in awhile! The story is pretty simple, and at times a little predictable. I also was a little disappointed with the two villains, Viper and the Silver Samurai.





14. Iron Man 3
Directed by: Shane Black
Starring: Robert Downey, Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle, Guy Pearce, Ben Kingsley
Released: May 2013
First watched: With friends at AMC opening day

Iron Man 3, the movie that has all the fan boys in rages. Now I just want to say off that the bat that I too was a little disappointed with the plot twist, but overall I think that it played out well I enjoyed this new version of the Mandarin. I talked more about this is another blog post some if you would like to see more of my thoughts on it you can check it out here. (you will need to scroll down a bit to find it) With that part out of the way I want to say that this movie is probably one of the most entertaining movies I've seen, but it’s also carries with it some flaws, besides the plot twist. So first off one it’s biggest strengths was also one of its flaws. This movie is exceptionally funny for a superhero movie, and I really enjoyed that, but there were a few times when the jokes were a little too much. Specifically in the final battle of the film there were a few parts were I thought that humor seemed to take away from the drama and suspense that scene was trying to create. It also had a few characters that at I thought were a little over the top. There are some plot holes here an there, but with all the said this movie’s main goal is to entertain and it certainly does that. I love that it decided to go in a totally different tone and direction from the first two films and do something different. This has some of the best action sequences out of all the Marvel movies. Robert Downey Jr. nails it once again as Tony Stark, and the supporting cast also does a good job at keeping up with him in this one. I also really enjoyed the aspect of Tony struggling emotionally from the events from The Avengers. It reminded us that even though this universe is still moving in more sci-fi and fantasy directions, the characters are still real people and struggle with more things than just saving the world. Once again this movie is super entertaining and fun, and I look forward to watching it again. 






13. Spider-man
Directed by: Sam Raimi
Starring: Tobey Maguire, Willem Dafoe, Kirsten Dunst, James Franco
Released: May 2002
First watched: in theaters opening day with a bunch of friends (had to sit in the front row)

When this movie first came out I did not like it. It really had nothing to do with the movie itself, but it was because it came around the same time as Star Wars Episode II and people were saying that Spider-man was better. So being a loyal Star Wars fan (and a competitive little rascal) I had to defend it. I have since come to a realization that it’s okay to like both, and I have adapted the philosophy of the more the merrier! This movie is another reason why Superhero movies have become such very mainstream, and even though it was one of the first, it’s also better than a lot superhero flicks.  I have always loved Spider-man and I feel that this movie really captures the essence of who Spider-man is. It didn't shy away from showing Spider-man’s true character. I have always loved that Spider-man isn't your typical hero. He’s a nerdy everyday guy. He’s awkward, not very smooth with the ladies, and he loves science. This movie showed this aspect of the character so well. They did a great job with all of the supporting characters as well. One of the things that kind of bugs me about this movie though is the Green Goblins costume. The character is great, and I love how they showed the complex relationship between Peter Park and Harry and Norman Osborn, but they could have some up with a better costume design. I’m also not the biggest fan of Kristen Dunst as Mary Jane. She has her moments when she is good, but overall I found her to be a little annoying. Besides those few things, this is a great Spider-man film, and of the pioneers of Superhero films! 





12. X-men
Directed by: Bryan Singer
Starring: Patrick Stewart, Hugh Jackman, Ian McKellen, Halle Berry, Famke Janssen, James Marsden
Released: July 2000
First watched: In theaters opening day in Utah with my brothers and my cousins the Feddersons

This is the movie that started it all. Before this movie superhero movies weren't really a big thing. There was would be the occasional one here and there, and the only ones with any real success had been Batman and Superman. After the success of X-men, the Spider-man movies started coming out, and scored big at the box office, and the rest is history. Now there are multiple superhero movies coming out every year. The X-men have always been my favorite characters from the marvel universe. Where most superhero movies just have one character to focus on, this movie had the difficult task of introducing multiple characters to the main stream audience. While Wolverine has the most focus, overall I think this movie did a decent job at introducing all characters. For me it was so fun to finally see these characters on the big screen. I think what this movie did the best was that it demonstrated conflict between mutants and humans. For me that has always been one of the most interesting aspects of X-men, and they were able to show that. Another fun thing about this movie was seeing all of the mutant’s powers displayed a more realistic setting. This film also some pretty intense sequences and does a great job at establishing conflict between the X-men and Magneto, and the mutants and humans.  Since this movie did come out 13 years ago, the special effects and a few other things seem a bit dated, but overall I think that it holds up pretty well. 








11. Unbreakable
Directed by: M. Night Shyamalan
Starring: Bruce Wills, Samuel L. Jackson
Released: November 2000
First watched: at home about 2 months ago

I don't know how I went all these years without seeing this movie. This is not your typical superhero movie, and that’s why its so interesting. Before watching it I had no idea that it was superhero movie. This movie does an amazing job at showing a realistic view point on what it might be like if someone really did start obtaining super powers. Along with demonstrating a fascinating look at the emergence of a man with incredible powers this movie also has an amazing narrative on the ongoing battle between good vs. evil. Samuel L. Jackson does an outstanding job as Elijah Price, the comic book collector, and who helps establish the balance between good and evil. This movie also has a great message about relationships and the importance of families that really stuck with me afterwards. The only really complaint I have about this movie is that it is really slow at times, and it tends to drag in a feel spots. Overall, though it is an outstanding movie, and one that is very unique and unlike any other in this genre. 

1 comment:

  1. Love that you got around to Unbreakable. That third act is phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete