Thursday, June 19, 2014

My Grandma and X-Men


What do they have in common? Well not a lot really.......expect for one other thing.

A few weeks ago X-Men Days of Future Past came out. I loved the movie for a lot of different reasons but one of the things that stayed with me the most is the overall premise of X-Men.  

X-men is all about a group of people who are feared and judged because they appear different. In reality though, they are the exact same as other humans, just with certain physical gifts or powers. But because they are mutants they are treated differently.



As many people know my Grandma Kendall passed away very recently. Before she died, a few family members and I had the opportunity to sit down and talk with her. She was in excruciating pain and it was incredibly difficult for her to sit and talk (but it was a moment that I will always treasure because I got to have one last conversation with her). 



One of the last things my sweet and spunky Grandma said to us was to love and accept people, no matter what they do. Even if people are doing things we don't agree with, love them. 

Even those closest to us who we may think we need to change. We can not control them, we can love them and accept them. Those words will always stay with me. 

Really when you think about it, it's such a simple concept, but yet it can be so hard to actually do. 

Accepting others just the way they are is something that my Grandma was a pro at. Even in her later years when she was deathly sick she always went to an extra effort to accept people into her home.


She always made a place in her home for anyone who had no where else to go. Whenever I would bring friends over she would embrace them like they were her own grandchildren. 

She was a big believer in never giving up on people, and always loved and accepted other regardless of what they chose to do with their life. In the latest X-Men film (which is where I'm going with the connection) there is a line that I think perfectly explains one of my Grandma’s philosophies of life: 

Just because someone stumbles and loses their path, doesn’t mean they can’t be saved.” 
Charles Xavier

She emulated this motto till the end and I’m so grateful for her incredible example. 
I love you Grandma.




No comments:

Post a Comment