Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Does Influence and Control Really exist?

Two weeks ago I started my final semester of my undergrad at ASU (woohoo!) and one of my classes this semester is called Deductive Logic, Leadership/Management Techniques (CON 294). So far its been a really awesome class (probably one of the best classes I've taken in my undergrad) and I would recommend it anyone. The first week of class we talked about whether or not randomness/chance, control, and influence are real, and whether or not they effect decision making. 

As I thought about what control and influence really are I was reminded of a few different things. The first of those things was the film the Dark Knight (sorry if you haven’t seen it, there are some mild spoilers). In the movie the Joker's one goal is to corrupt the people of Gotham City, especially the three main heroes, Batman, Commissioner Gordon, and Harvey Dent by creating chaotic situations that pushes each of them to their limits. Throughout the film the Joker does many things to try and influence their decisions but ultimately the only one to fully give into the Joker's enticements is Harvey Dent.


In my class we talked about whether or not influence or control really exist, and at the end of the class we were told that it ultimately does not exist. But as I thought about this movie I noticed that the through the Joker’s influence he was able to affect Harvey’s decision making. Then I reflected back to about how Batman and Commissioner Gordon faced the same chaos from the Joker, but they did not give into the Joker's influence.

After some more thought I came to the conclusion that influence only exist if we allow it to. Ultimately everyone has a choice and no matter how much someone tries to make us do something or change us, it’s our choice on how we respond to it. In the case of this movie, terrible things happen to each of the three main characters that were out of their control, but the one thing that was in their control is how they responded to them, and whether or not they allowed these bad things influence or control them. So in the case of Harvey, he allowed the influence and chaos the Joker created, to control him and affect his decision making. He allowed uncontrollable external factors determine his fate. 

A few days after this thought process I watched my favorite team, the 49ers play in the NFC championship game. They ended up losing, which was very disappointing to me, but ultimately I had the choice to let their loss, something that was not in my control, affect me in a negative way, or chose to move past it and look for something positive. Either the way the choice is mine. I realize that these examples may seem trivial to some, but I think that it they demonstrated perfectly the ability we as human beings have to control our own fate, and to not let the "uncontrollable" things of our lives control us. It's definitely easier said then done, but I think that's an important principle to remember.


One of the simplest ways I've heard it said and what I think sums up what I'm trying to say is:

"Pain is something that we can't stop, but misery is optional" 
Todd Chirstofferson



To sum it up, don't let the "Jokers" or uncontrollable factors in your life determine who you will become, or what you will do. That choice is up to us! 

2 comments:

  1. Thomas, it's Hudson,

    I think it is true that we have the choice to be miserable or happy in this life. I have held on to that truth my whole life and I know that choosing to be happy works. I also know that God favors the choice of man. He will not force us to do anything; only we can force ourselves.
    Thanks for the post.

    Hudson

    ReplyDelete