Friday, June 21, 2013

Sports at it's best

Last night I turned on the TV to watch the fourth quarter of the NBA finals. I'm not really a big fan of either team playing (Miami Heat vs. San Antonio Spurs), but I decided to watch the end because I was hoping to see a thrilling game ending like game six was. I use to hate the Spurs because they would also beat the Suns in the playoffs, and that was about my the only reason actually. Every since the Suns swept the Spurs in the 2010 playoffs I actually don't mind them any more. With the Heat I'm not fan, but I also don't hate them like a lot of people do. So anyways, what I'm trying to say is that this game had no real meaning for me.

image from here


At the end of the game though I was really impressed with the way the both teams handled themselves. Before celebrate Lebron James walks up to Tim Duncan and gives a big hug. Then I see Dwayne Wade and Gregg Popovich hugging and talking. Next thing I know I see players and coaches from both sides hugging and congratulating each other. Usually I see players and coaches give a quick high five or something, but its rare to see players act the way they did last night, and really show some emotion. 

Having played many sports in my day I've been on both ends of losing big games and winning big games, and let me say when you lose, especially when you gave it your all, it's not easy to go straight up to the other guys and congratulate them. And also when you win, it's hard to contain your excitement and say good game to the guys who just lost, so for both teams to do that I was pretty impressed. 

It was awesome to see guys like Tony Parker, Wade, Lebron, and Tim Duncan, who are players that everyone loves to talk trash about, myself included at times, were able to show the world great sportsmanship. Even if it was for show and this guys didn't really mean it, (which I'm sure many people think) I'm glad they did because it show to the rest of us that if these superstars who play at this elite level can have sportsmanship, we can all do it. Sports can be ugly and even downright horrible at times, but it can also be good and have incredibly positive affects on people. I'm glad that these players showed the good side last night, that no matter what, win or lose you still hold your head up high and respect one another because at the end of the day it is just game. 

2 comments:

  1. I said the exact same thing to Brad as the game finished. There was no poor sportsmanship or attitude or ego during the entire game, and I noticed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah I was actually really shocked to see that!

      Delete